Thursday, March 01, 2007

"Proverbs of Ashes: Violence, Redemptive Suffering, and The Search For What Saves Us"

I discovered this book from an email tagline. Quoting from the publisher:

An extraordinary personal and theological examination of what's wrong with the crucifixion. In an emotionally gripping and intellectually rich combination of memoir and theology, Rita Brock and Rebecca Parker show how emphasizing Christ's obedience to God and sacrifice on the cross sanctions violence, exacerbates its effects, blesses silence about the abuse of human beings, and hinders the process of recovery--giving the fullest and most powerful critique to date of the theology of atonement.

And the email tag that piqued my interest:

As Bill spoke he placed both his hands on his own chest. "This is my manhood," he said, tapping a rhythm with his hands upon his body. "That I can feel. That I can care. That I can grieve. That I can love. That I hate war. That I had the courage to question. That I was willing not to obey."

Find the book at Powells.com

-P. Lincoln


Share

No comments:

Post a Comment